Taking my meds, a life-long commitment

Hi Dr. David,

It's been a year since I posted a question here. I'm DJ from Manila, Philippines.

As of this writing, I'm still feeling dizzy and nauseated - thanks to Efavirenz! How long will I "suffer" this side effect?

Just last October I finished my TB medications (Category 2), all sputum tests were negative, however based on my ct scan I have tuberculoma formation. What does it mean? I'm still under surveillance for 3 mos.

I'm going back to my ARV, thank God I'm now starting my lifetime commitment. I'm taking Lamivudine/Zidovudine + Efavirenz. I know in the States, HAARTs are more advanced! My medications are also free for the next three years, thanks to the Global Fund. Hopefully, in the near future, we can have access to the medicines you're using in America. Also, for the past year, I haven't experienced any major illness and in fact I'm gaining weight, Hallelujah! Nothing has changed actually, I still have a positive outlook in life. I'm currently enrolled in an open university taking my masters. Afterwards, my PhD and teach in the University. Starting next year, I'm planning to hit the gym and do yoga or zumba. God has been so faithful to me all these years (I'm about to cry now :-)) Anyway, I know these sufferings I'm now experiencing are only temporary. By taking my meds, I can live a more normal life. And who knows? Someday, I have my own foundation and a research university dedicated to HIV/AIDS studies.

Thank you so much for reading this post. Mabuhay!!!

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thank you for writing and for your update. You are a true power of example in terms of attitude and motivation. The side effects of Efavirenz usually diminish with time, but in some cases they can persist. Be certain to discuss this concern (as well as the tuberculoma formation) with your physician.

Thanks again for sharing. Good luck with your graduate studies and for being such a shining example of the power of optimism!

David

Support Group in NYC
Stress, medication and delayed seroconversion