lesbian sex hiv risk

I am a woman and I had unprotected sex with a woman 10 months ago. I am not sure if she was hiv positive but she belonged in a high risk group (used to inject drugs and was group-raped). If she were positive, what could be an estimate of the hiv risk from lesbian sex with the following risk factors? a) I used fingering and my finger had a small scratch from dried skin. I wasn't bleeding but the first skin layers were scratched off. b) I gave oral sex and I had a couple of mouth ulcers. c) her vaginal fluids may have touched may vagina but weren't directly inserted and there wasn't direct vagina contact. d) Maybe there were some of her own fluids on her finger while she fingered me. Do you suggest an hiv test and should I be very worried? Thank you.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. The excerpt below is taken from the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, HIV/AIDS among Women Who Have Sex With Women Fact Sheet.

To date, there are no confirmed cases of female-to-female sexual transmission of HIV in the United States database (K. McDavid, CDC, oral communication, March 2005). However, case reports of female-to-female transmission of HIV and the well-documented risk of female-to-male transmission [1] indicate that vaginal secretions and menstrual blood are potentially infectious and that mucous membrane (for example, oral, vaginal) exposure to these secretions has the potential to lead to HIV infection.

I do not think you need to be tested for this incidence in particular. Nothing you have described sounds extremely high-risk. You can wait until you are due for your next regularly scheduled HIV test.

In health,

Richard

HIV positive, gay, and feeling trapped in a marriage
Can you help me be a supportive friend?