Ecstasy and HIV

I was reading your questions and responses about ecstasy and I was wondering, since ecstasy suppresses the immune system, if you're on the drug at the time of exposure to HIV would you be one of the individuals considered "severely immune compromised" because the immune system is so much weaker at the time of infection? Would a person in this situation be advised to test beyond 3 months of exposure?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

I know of no literature discussing the immunosuppressive effects of ecstasy and its effects on seroconversion. The drug suppresses immunity indirectly through the release of immune modulating chemicals, not unlike the effects of stress. Speak with your physician to determine if testing beyond three months would be appropriate in your case..

-David

ADHD and HIV
Mixed-Status Couple Complication