ADHD and HIV

I have been HIV positive for 23 yrs and have ADHD. It seems to be getting worse as time goes on. My CD4 is 530, viral load is undetectable, and I was originally diagnosed AIDS IN 95. My psychiatrist doesn't think there is a correlation, but adult ADHD is not a very old science. Has any research been done on cognitive function of HIV and ADHD?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. There is no significant literature on any correlation between HIV and ADHD. One new article found that people who are both HIV and Bipolar Disorder (which you don't mention) did have increased difficulty maintaining attention and focusing on tasks (compared to those without Bipolar Disorder). Both HIV and ART medications can affect cognitive functioning as well. It is becoming evident that one's lowest t-cell count (nadir) is significant in predicting future HIV-related cognitive concerns. If it is of great concern, you may want to speak with your providers about obtaining a neuropsychiatric consult.

-David

Managing HIV Disease and Job Performance
Ecstasy and HIV