The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Managing HIV Disease and Job Performance

Sep 16, 2012

My job has become increasingly stressful and demanding. I am getting depressed with managing my HIV, work and single parenthood. I finally applied for FMLA and since then my job has transferred me, given me more work to do and given me a bad evaluation surrounding incidents of my absence. What can I do to protect myself?

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear Writer,

Thank you for writing. I urge you to consult with an attorney as soon as possible to ensure your rights are protected. You can start your search for an attorney with the Legal Services Corporation ( LSC is the US government agency overseeing civil legal services provision for the disabled and poor. Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to consult with an attorney for free at an LSC funded local program.

Generally speaking, if your company has fifteen or more employees, you are entitled to protection from discrimination at your job along with remedies under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). You may also be entitled to a "Reasonable Accommodation", or a modification of your job in consideration of your HIV-related health limitations. In addition, depending on where you live, your state may have specific laws to protect workers who are HIV positive. Please check out an earlier post where I discuss, in detail, remedies for workplace discrimination against people living with HIV/AIDS.

Stay strong and good luck!

Discrimination at Work

tested negative after being tested positive.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint