Quit job over stress

I just read your answer to the question about whether the individual should quit his job due to stress. Your cautionary answer was a good one. I quit my job as a surgeon due to stress over contamination and patient concerns 15 years ago and have regretted it ever since. Many of us are defined by what we do for a living and not doing anything says a lot and is extremely stressful. Never stop working unless you have to as the side effects of that decision are monumental.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thank you for writing. Yours is a powerful example of the impact of such decisions. I hope you have been able to successfully find other ways to define yourself and derive fulfillment.

Take care,

-David

Worried after revealing my status
Help needed: possible needle prick