Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried after revealing my status
Aug 26, 2012

Recently I told my friend who has fallen madly in love about my positive HIV status. We have been seeing each other for about eight months now. He's been trying to kiss me all this while but it was difficult to do that before telling him, since I know that kissing leads to many other things. He cried a lot and promised not to leave me. Two days later he wrote me honestly telling me how depressed he felt about the whole issue. He feels his dreams are shattered, he cannot concentrate on anything and has lost his voice. I tried to encourage him and make him feel better but it has been difficult. He told me nothing has changed in our relationship and that he was going to do everything in his power to ensure I am happy. However, he said he needs time to get over it. We are still in constant communication and he assures me he will always love me, but I have doubts if this will last. He promised not to tell anyone about it since I have not gone public with it. Please tell me did I do the right thing by telling him? I feel so guilty that I have made him so sad and unable to concentrate. What should I do? I am female and I have been living with HIV for 17 years now and on drugs for 10 years. So far I have lived a happy and productive life but it has been very difficult dating. This is the second man I am revealing this to and it always hurts to see them cry.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry to hear about the emotional pain you are both experiencing, however, such disclosure is critical if the relationship is to move forward. Remember that such news is a big shock and that time is necessary to process this information. Some people can easily adapt, others find it difficult.

I am glad to hear you have taken care of yourself over the years. Dating can present real complications. You may find help in a support group with others in a similar situation. Depending on your location, you might also find resources for serodiscordant couples. Here is a link to a resource page on disclosure at TheBody.

Good luck,

-David

Previous
Married to someone with HIV
Next
Quit job over stress

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.