Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Married to someone with HIV
Aug 26, 2012

Over my nine year marriage, I made a commitment to stick with my HIV-positive husband through this battle. He doesn't want to get proper care and over the years, I have tested negative. But my biggest fear is the virus will increase in his system, therefore putting me at a greater risk of getting infected. We use condoms but one night the condom came off and was lodged in my walls. I was able to remove it but the semen was still there and my biggest fear is that I was infected. What should I do? This happened about 4 months ago.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

I applaud your support of your husband, but really feel that unless you both can take proper steps to ensure your protection your support is misplaced. If you haven't done so, get tested. I'm glad to hear you use condoms but, as you note, things can happen. If your husband's viral load isn't suppressed it dramatically increases his potential to infect you. He needs to get proper care. Here is a link to a resource page for serodiscordant couples.

Your support is best utilized helping him address whatever barriers are preventing him from getting proper care.

Take care of you,

-David

Previous
HIV, sex drive and recovery
Next
Worried after revealing my status

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.