Should I quit my job to avoid stress?

I am working as an account executive, dealing with clients, sometimes difficult clients. Some situations can cause stress, sometimes mild, but still stressful. My question is: should I quit my job because of these stressors now that I have HIV? I understand that stress can cause big problems.

I love my job and now everything is going well, but I need to know how much stress can have negative consequences for someone living with HIV.

Thank you very much for your response!

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thank you for writing. It is true that excessive stress can be immunosuppressive and chronically difficult situations should probably be avoided to optimize health. However, you state that you "love" your job. I know many people living with HIV who thrive on various aspects of their active lives, including their occupation. I would be cautious about quitting your job as a precautionary effort to avoid stress. You might find that the stress of not doing what you love is actually more problematic than the work itself.

These decisions are highly individual. You need to consider all the options, including your ability to utilize stress-reducing techniques such as breathing, exercise, and meditation. Only you can decide what the proper balance should be.

Good luck,

-David

Atripla and alcohol
true or false