Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Was my counselor off base?
Jul 15, 2012

I've been seeing a one-on-one counselor at the local AIDS organization. During our last session, I mentioned my AIDS diagnosis and he said "why do you think you have AIDS" I told him I was diagnosed in 2001 with PCP in both lungs plus a plethora of other HIV related problems. "Yes, but why do you say you still have AIDS? You don't have PCP now and what are your t-cells?" I told him in the mid 400's but also, I was becoming angry and asked him what business was it of his. He gave me a really flippant answer and I got up and just left.

I've been very upset since this happened. Did he have some reason to ask a question like that? Did the CDC change the diagnosis criteria? Should he be reported to his supervisor? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. Here is a quote from HIV Insite from UCSF:

"Once a person has been diagnosed with AIDS, she or he is always considered to have AIDS, even if that person's CD4 count goes up again and/or they recover from the disease that defined their AIDS diagnosis."

I'm not sure why your counselor asked those questions but your reaction is understandable. Every agency has policies about client rights and responsibilities. You have a right to courteous and professional interactions. In this case, I think you should speak with a supervisor about the situation.

-David

Previous
Extreme weakness
Next
Support group for physicians with HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.