List of prescription drugs which decrease CD4 counts

I'm one of those people who's been Mr. Total Compliance w/ HIV meds and achieved undetectability since I started HAART five years ago. My CD4, which was 196 at my diagnosis, got up to 360 after 2 years but has been falling slowly but steadily every quarter to 250 now. I was on citalapram (20 mg) for depression until a month ago. Now they want to give me sertaline to replace that, along with modofinil (Provigil) for fatigue. I'm on nothing else but standard dosages of Isentress (2x/day) and Atripla.

Does the anti-depressant and/or Provigil depress the bone marrow's production of white blood cells? Is there a master list anywhere which identifies all known standard drugs which depress bone marrow? I know antibiotics do. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing and congratulations on adhering to your medication regimen. You don't mention why a change is indicated from citalopram to sertraline. Did your depressive symptoms worsen? Is your fatigue part of the depression? In any case, combining sertraline with efavirenz (one of the component drugs of Atripla) should be done cautiously, not because of white counts but because of how they are processed in the liver, which can result in decreased blood levels of the drug. Such a combination is not uncommon, but should be monitored by your physician.

Some common types of drugs that can cause a reduction in white blood cells include antibiotics (as you note), antihistamines, anticonvulsants, barbiturates, diuretics, and sulfa drugs. Consult with your physician about your concerns.

-David

Helping him and myself as well
Atripla and alcohol