Helping him and myself as well

My partner is 26 and I am 27. He was diagnosed with HIV about a year ago and has been using drugs a lot. He is not seeing his doctor and says that he is dealing with other parts of his life (like us fighting and problems with the relationship). He rarely brings up anything to do with HIV or his status or what he is going through. He told me today that his viral load went from 15000 to 85000 and his CD4 count fell from 580 to 225 in approximately 6 months. Is this bad? What can I do to help him? Is he going to get sick? Please someone help.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Recreational drugs and HIV do not mix well. It is very important that your partner get his substance abuse under control. Not only do drugs interfere with prescription medications, they impact adherence as well as one's ability to deal with living with the HIV virus in a healthy way. He cannot deal with "other parts of his life" unless his drug use is under control. That is called denial.

Here are some links to support programs: Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, and SMART Recovery. They all have hundreds of meetings in various locations and are effective. If he needs treatment, you or he should speak with his physician about a referral. Finally, be certain to get support for yourself. Al-Anon and Nar-anon are meant for friends and family concerned about someone else's drug use.

Good luck to you both,

David

Alcohol's effect on drug efficacy
List of prescription drugs which decrease CD4 counts