My son has stopped communicating.

My son (25 years old ) has pulled away and stopped communicating with our family! I don't understand why. We all have accepted him as we always have, with or without being HIV positive. He has been very abrupt and rude with everyone. When we stop by to check on him, he doesn't allow us in (he changed his phone number ). As his mother, I don't know how or what to do to help him!! I love my son and I miss him very much. Could this be something mentally related to his disease or his medication? I don't want to be overbearing, but should I just stay away and let him go through what he is going through? I don't want to cause him any more stress than he may already be dealing with. Please help!

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. It's difficult to know exactly what is going on, although such withdrawal is most often a reaction to HIV rather than a behavior caused by the virus or medications. It's important for your son to be able to process what is happening with as much support as possible, yet with the space he needs. I would let him know that you understand this is a difficult time and that you are there to support him in whatever way you can. I would then let him indicate to you what level of involvement he would like.

It's important for both of you to get support. Check with local HIV/AIDS organizations about resources such as groups where you could get feedback and find other resources.

Take care,

David

arginine alpha-ketoglutarate
Likelihood of getting infected with HIV/STD