Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"2 Negative Quick Rapid HIV test but I am losing weight"
May 13, 2012

Hello everybody. I am a 30 yr old straight male - First off I've been reading this forum since a high risk exposure. I want to thank every single person who had the courage and strength to disclose their experience w/ the www (God Bless.) I also want to thank the experts, without the advise and guidance, I would of went crazy by now. Now here is what happened. I had a dumb high risk exposure while on vacation when the condom broke while having sex with a prostitute back in 1/24/12. I immediately pulled out and washed by myself penis. 2 wks later I had signs of ARS. A low grade fever, no appetite and diarra for 1 day. I felt weak for about 5 days. I prepared myself for the worst. I took an oral swap rapid test on the 7 wk after exposure and on the 12th wk, both came out negative. I've lost about 5 lbs and I see its getting hard to keep the weight. My question is, 1) am I one of those unfortunate few that wont show any antibodies until after 3months? 2)Are these test accurate. 3) If i am hiv+ how do u get medical assistance if your not working. I appreciate any response you can provide me - Thank you

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Your 12th week test tells us that you did not get HIV from this "high risk exposure."

The reason I use quotation marks is because HIV is a relatively hard virus to get, everything needs to be in place for transmission to happen. In the situation you're talking about, you pulled right after you felt the condom break. That's great since that means your penis probably didn't have much of a chance to get in contact with the other person's body fluid.

Even if you did, that's what tests are there for. The odds of it taking longer than 3 months are akin to winning the lottery or getting hit by lightning, which are both "possible" but highly unlikely.

As for the things you're feeling physically, they don't sound much like the flu-like symptoms that could happen when someone gets HIV (they haven't lasted long enough). However, they do sound like the symptoms of stressing out... about a possible (but very unlikely) HIV infection.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
I just found out a guy I'm dating is positive
Next
Pregnant and HIV+

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.