I just found out a guy I'm dating is positive

I just found out the guy I have been dating is positive. We have had sex four times. He was the top and says he's on meds, viral load undetectable for 10 years and that hiv transmission is not likely. Is it probable that I will contract HIV from our having bareback sex?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

It's possible, but not probable. He is undetectable, which lowers the likelihood of transmission, but it does not eliminate it. When you have unprotected penetrative sex without a condom you are taking a risk, especially if the person is known to be HIV positive.

My suggestion is to use a condom for each and every act of penetrative sex. In addition, an HIV test three months from the last incident of unprotected penetrative sex will give you an accurate result.

I would also suggest a serious sit-down conversation with the guy that you are dating. He put you at risk and that needs to be addressed.

In health,

Richard

Can't live like this, consumed with worry...
"2 Negative Quick Rapid HIV test but I am losing weight"