My husband died of AIDS and I didn't know he was positive

Doctor,

I'm from Argentina so I apologize for my English. I met a man, we were in a relationship for two months and immediately got married. Suddenly he started to get sick and got worse. Five months later he died and the doctor told me that the cause of the death was AIDS. I couldn't believe it! I didn't know anything about that and I don't know if my husband knew it. The doctor said that, because of his immune system when he died, he had been suffering this for 6 or 7 years. I don't know what is real. My blood test results have been negative (elisa) all four times I've done them. My last test was five months after the last sexual contact and it was negative too. How long must I wait to know if I am infected or not? We never used condoms because we wanted kids. It seems strange to me that I'm not infected!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, I hope you can understand in spite of my English!

Response from Dr. Fawcett

I'm sorry to hear of your situation and your loss. It must be both frightening and shocking. I can't explain why you did not seroconvert. A negative test six months after exposure with someone who is positive is generally considered conclusive. Get tested at that six month point and then you will be able to begin rebuilding your life.

I wish you good luck and health!

-David

My partner is HIV positive and I am negative
Antioxidants and natural medicine (herbal)