Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My husband died of AIDS and I didn't know he was positive
May 5, 2012

Doctor,

I'm from Argentina so I apologize for my English. I met a man, we were in a relationship for two months and immediately got married. Suddenly he started to get sick and got worse. Five months later he died and the doctor told me that the cause of the death was AIDS. I couldn't believe it! I didn't know anything about that and I don't know if my husband knew it. The doctor said that, because of his immune system when he died, he had been suffering this for 6 or 7 years. I don't know what is real. My blood test results have been negative (elisa) all four times I've done them. My last test was five months after the last sexual contact and it was negative too. How long must I wait to know if I am infected or not? We never used condoms because we wanted kids. It seems strange to me that I'm not infected!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, I hope you can understand in spite of my English!

Response from Dr. Fawcett

I'm sorry to hear of your situation and your loss. It must be both frightening and shocking. I can't explain why you did not seroconvert. A negative test six months after exposure with someone who is positive is generally considered conclusive. Get tested at that six month point and then you will be able to begin rebuilding your life.

I wish you good luck and health!

-David

Previous
My partner is HIV positive and I am negative
Next
Antioxidants and natural medicine (herbal)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.