Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My boyfriend doesn't know my status
Apr 10, 2012

I have been living with HIV for three years now and I am taking Atripla. My boyfriend of one month is HIV negative. If we have sex we use condoms because I am really afraid of telling him my positive status. My question to you: is it possible to pass HIV by mouth as he used to lick me before we have sex. I am very concerned about this because I don't want to expose him. My viral load is undetectable.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Such transmission is theoretically possible (if there are sores where there might be blood contact) although statistically remote. Of more concern is the issue of disclosure of your status. Some people feel that as long as they use condoms it's permissible not to reveal that they are positive. I think this is flawed logic since the real issue, as you note, is fear (and condoms mishaps do occur). If the relationship develops you will have a serious problem down the road when he does find out you are positive. He will understandably feel a sense of betrayal and no doubt anger as well.

Build your relationship on a solid foundation and let him know what's going on.

-David

Previous
Nine years of HIV and stress
Next
When Will My Life Be Normal?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.