Effects of alcohol

I am taking a combination of Isentress (raltegravir) and Truvada (tenofovir and emtricitabine). Can I consume alcohol? My CD-4 count is 80 and my viral load is 185.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Alcohol and HIV frequently don't mix. It is generally considered tolerable for someone with HIV to have one alcoholic drink per day, but this is highly individualized since HIV medications, as well as alcohol, can put a strain on the liver. Speak with your physician about your particular situation and use caution. Because it is legal we often forget that alcohol is a powerful (and potentially dangerous) drug.

-David

Worried about life expectancy
Nine years of HIV and stress