Mood swings and HIV

I just wanted to ask if mood swings and irritability are side effects of ARVs. My female relative is on Tenolam and nevirapine (don't know the dosages). Recently other family members have complained about her moods swing. She gets irritable very easily and starts being verbally aggressive towards people around her.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Tenolam contains tenofovir (Viread) and lamivudine (Epivir). The irritability you describe can be a symptom of depression, which is a known side effect of tenofovir (along with anxiety). Living with HIV can, of course, be extremely stressful and everyone's reaction can be different. Such responses can include increased irritability and changes in personality as people react to both the side effects of the meds and the ongoing stress of living with the virus. I recommend that she speak with her physician regarding these changes in order to be evaluated for possible mental health concerns.

Good luck,

David

Neuropathy help
Handling the stress of living with the virus