Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why must Complera be taken with a meal?
Feb 28, 2012

Hello Dr. Fawcett As my title states, Why must Complera be taken with a meal? I myself have been taking Atripla for three years and it has been working great (Knock on wood) :-) A friend of mine was also on Atripla but he was experiencing chronic G.I. problems. His doctor thought it might have to do with the Atripla. I'm assuming the problem was being caused by the efavirenz?? I'm very curious to know exactly why Complera must be taken with a high caloric content meal. I've done a bit of research and haven't been able to find a definitive answer or at least one that I can fully understand. From what I've found it has to do with the way the med is absorbed. Most people normally don't count their calorie intake per meal. So, what might be an example of an adequate meal? Thank you for your time. Sincerely, "An overly curious guy" :-)

Response from Dr. Henry

The NNRTI in Complera, rilpivirine, is sensitive to stomach acid levels and fat content regarding absorption from stomach into blood stream (high fat and high stomach acid increases absorption=higher levels= more anti HIV activity) thus the recommendation to take with a meal and to avoid strong stomach acid reducing agents. KH

Previous
Knowing when your depressed?
Next
Is living with HIV worth it?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.