Is depression a physiological or social phenomenon?

I recently saw the psychiatrist at my provider's office due to some depressive thoughts, and most recently, a lot of fuzzy concentration and memory problems. My memory has slowly stabilized if not improved, but I just wanted to know is depression a common occurrence due to the virus's effect in the body among HIV positive people (aside from the psychosocial factors)? Aren't antidepressants just an aid until one can change the psychosocial factors and feel better on their own?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Depression, while common among those with the HIV virus (up to 50% lifetime occurrence), is not well understood. Research does indicate that the virus itself can cause depressive symptoms, including those you experienced. Some people have pre-existing depression while others develop it after diagnosis. Individuals co-infected with hepatitis B or C are at even higher risk for a depressive disorder.

In many cases, individuals greatly benefit from the use of antidepressants because the cause of depression is not simply psychosocial factors (although they are a factor) but neurochemical processes as well. Many people, in consultation with their physician, do come off their antidepressant after a period of time. If you are experiencing depression is it very important to have a professional evaluation because it can impact not only quality of life, but risk factors for suicide and even medication adherence.

-David

Looking for help In west Texas
When does it get better?