Looking for help In west Texas

I have had an AIDS diagnosis for 17 years now. I was living in southern California and am in good health due to having great care and resources. I met my current partner, who is HIV negative, three years ago. He decided to go to school when he left the military. We moved to his hometown in west Texas so he could attend UT at Midland. His family does not know about my status nor can they find out. While trying to find a physician I have been insulted and demeaned. I am feeling like I have made a huge mistake. I did not even consider my HIV status when moving because it has been under control for so long. I need to be supportive for my partner to finish school, but I don't know what to do. I still don't have a doctor here and I just want to hide.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. Getting proper medical care with empathetic professionals can be a challenge, particularly outside of urban areas. Maintaining your health certainly needs to be a top priority. You may have already tried this, but you might want to look into any resources available through the university. Local health departments sometimes have resource lists, including support groups and health care practitioners. Word of mouth or some form of reference from other patients is often the best way to be certain your provider will be professional. In the worst case you might consider finding a specialist in a nearby city (relatively speaking, I know Texas is a big place) and making quarterly drives to get everything checked out. Good luck.

-David

High appetite for sex
Is depression a physiological or social phenomenon?