Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Parotid gland disease..is there a fix?
Dec 27, 2011

I was diagnosed with salivary gland disease when I went to my dentist....She said just drink lots of fluids but it doesnt really help. Ive noticed Im always tired and dont wake up refreshed like most people. I go to the gym and treadmill but feel like Im pulling a Mack truck and my face doesnt sweat like most people. I feel like some kind of freak even when Im doing a treadmill. I had to medically retire from being an electrician since being diagnosed with aids and a nightmarish experience with crytococcal menegitis which landed me in ICU for almost a month, Now I just hang out and have to live on ssdi because of the cognisitve damage due to cm and aids. Im wondering if this parotid gland can be treated and is it possibly fatal? I have no tumours just a lack of saliva and a little swelling but its not really noticeable. I now believe that taking my meds which I have since being diagnosed will eneable me to keep living but am concerned about dying from living in poverty. Ive gone from a homeowner and a journeyman electrician with a business to living in a apartment on 1000 a month. I guess I can see why so many HIVers get depressed and suicidal..any suggestions? Im sorry about Dr Bobs passing, he was great man.

Response from Mr. Vergel

It is very difficult for me to have a clear picture about your problem since your email was really scattered in your description of the problem. If you have inflammation of the parotids, you may want to read this:

parotid glands

If what you have is a lack of saliva production, then talk to your doctor about medications that can increase that flow.

About your fatigue after sleeping: you may want to talk to your doctors about the diagnosis of sleep apnea. This problem can cause fatigue, depression, cardiovascular problems, erectile dysfunction, etc

Also talk to your doctor about checking your hormone levels (thyroid and testosterone) to ensure that your symptoms are not related to hormone deficiencies.

Hang in there. Do not despair. Many people have been able to return to health and go back to work.

Let us know what you find out.

Nelson

Previous
I'm so scared I ruined my life!
Next
Advise on infection regarding unprotected oral sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.