I am negative and my partner is positive

My partner of five years just found out two months ago that he is HIV positive. I am negative and am seeking counseling for myself. He has group counseling available to him, but there doesn't seem to be any specific counseling for me. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

I too have found that services for negative partners are often inadequate. You may be able to find services for serodiscordant couples that could be of benefit (here is some more information on such couples). Any psychotherapist specializing in HIV-related issues should be familiar with your concerns and be able to help you. Check with the AIDS service organizations where you live or your partner's physician to get leads for local therapists or groups.

Good luck,

-David

Pregnant and worried
Pregnant lady worried about a home HIV test