How to know when I got infected?

I have just been diagnosed. Number of CD4 cells are 291 and viral load is 61.000. We've started therapy immediately.

I was wondering when I possibly got infected? Could it be in last 6 months or was it much before? 1-2 years or it could be up to 10 years? My doctor said that it can't be very new to have this results. She says min. 2 years... Is it true?

This is very important for me because I would like to inform my partners about this situation but really don't know how far I should go? With my ex boyfriend we dated for 4 years and had unprotected sex. It's been three years we are apart but still I should inform him?

Thanks.

Unless you have previous HIV tests that were negative, it is very difficult outside of acute infection to know when infection may have occurred.

New charismatic gay couple
HIV and worsening depression