Can't find a therapist

I am having trouble finding a therapist that I can connect with. I have tried three so far and although the initial meeting seems to go fine, it just isn't there. I have ended up even more depressed because I have to pay someone to talk to me and they don't even seem that interested. I told the last woman that I was having trouble with depression and rage and for three sessions she has just told me to breathe. Then she told me that the good thing about HIV was that they have it licked and there are people who are actually curing themselves of the virus. I am going because I need help desperately. I am very depressed and I just want to die and be done. My insurance will actually cover the visits so I thought someone would try to help me. I have been told that I have depression and post-traumatic stress problems as well as OCD. I don't know what to do anymore.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. Sadly, some therapists are really ill-informed and you may have found one or two of them! It is not unusual to have initial sessions with a therapist. I encourage people to have an introductory session where they can, in effect, interview the therapist. Therapists and clients don't necessarily match - there are issues of therapeutic orientation and just plain chemistry.

There are various listing services for therapists on the internet, although they are no guarantee of a successful relationship. I would try getting recommendations from your friends or from a trusted physician. You can usually get a good idea of who might be a good match.

Given the severity of your depression, post traumatic stress disorder, and obsessive compulsive disorder, I hope that you are already in the care of a psychiatrist. You could no doubt benefit from medication for these concerns.

I wish you luck in your search. There are many excellent therapists out there and I trust you will find one.

-David

Will I ever stop worrying?
Tiredness and HIV