Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will I ever stop worrying?
Nov 7, 2011

Hello,

Three years ago I decided to stop having sex. I didn't want to keep on stressing about whether or not I would become infected with HIV. The opposite happened. I became a Medical Assistant and have been stuck and scratched a few times with used vaccines. I'm to the point where I freak out if I have a scratch on my hands and don't remember when it happened or how I got it. After 2 1/2 years of anxiety I decided to get tested. The results were negative, and I told myself that I wouldn't let myself continue freaking out. That lasted a total of 2 weeks when I scratched myself with a used needle while putting it into the sharps container. Although there was no blood I just can't let it go. I'm currently in school to become a RN, but I don't know how I will be able to continue working in the medical field when I'm stressing so much about becoming infected with HIV or even Hep C. My mom says I need therapy, but she just doesn't understand. Should I continue to worry? How do I continue my life without always being scared to become infected?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. There can be a considerable amount of anxiety about accidental exposure to HIV (and other viruses) among healthcare workers. The best ways to combat such fears are knowledge and, of course, universal precautions. Despite taking great care accidents do happen. In such cases, immediate occupational post exposure prophylaxis is effective.

I would bring up your concerns with the faculty in your nursing program - I'm sure your anxiety is shared by other students. If your worries are becoming prominent (and it sounds like they are) I do think counseling would be effective. You can learn various strategies to reduce the preoccupation with exposure.

Good luck.

-David

Previous
Concerned about symptoms and possible exposure after drinking too much
Next
Can't find a therapist

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.