Bullying

I wanted to write you about a couple of things. First of all, I wish you could be my therapist. I got more positive energy out of watching you with Mark King than I have with anyone who I have been working with to combat my severe depression. Secondly, my son is 9 years old and is being bullied in school. He is being called weird and being told that he is going to marry a male when he grows up. I would like some advice of how I am suppose to assist him with his development (when I can barely stop crying all of the time) and help him deal with the teasing.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing and for your kind words. Mark is a great guy who has done much for the HIV community and I value his friendship. I'm sorry to hear about your son. Bullying can cause harm that has long-lasting impact. Fortunately there is much greater awareness now and more resources as well. Here are a few that have guides for parents: PTA, bullying.org, and some information from education.com.

Take care,

David

Why should my wife get HIV after so many years
Cocerned about bipolar medications