Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My P24 test result came back "reactive." What's next?
Oct 22, 2011

Hello,

I recently had a late night encounter (unsafe sex) with a girlfriend who is an exotic dancer. I know, bad idea. I got a really bad flu a week later, and went to see my doctor. I asked her to run my annual STD check (laundry list of tests). Everything came back negative except the P24 test which was "reactive," causing my HIV test to be determined "false-positive." Does this test mean I have HIV? How accurate is the P24? What can cause a P24 test to be inaccurate? Could the P24 result be another health related issue other than HIV? My doctor then order an RNA HIV test which came back "negative" today. She wants to test me again in 3 weeks. I'm pretty scared right now. What are your closing thoughts? Thank you in advance for your response.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I am not sure what p24 test this is. If it is a p24 antigen test that can be used for diagnosis of acute HIV infection and would be reactive in someone with acute infection. It does not sound like a screening HIV antibody or confirmatory western blot test was done. Retesting in 3-4 weeks would be appropriate.

Previous
Anger at physician's east Texas attitude
Next
50 years old - what is my life expectancy?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.