Totally concerned after anal sex

Hi sir,

I have two questions - please answer this please.

1. In the month of January 2011, my friend and I indulged in anal sex with a condom (I had inserted). During the process the condom broke and when he got his blood tested it was HIV positive. After three months I got my blood checked and it was negative. In the month of April 2011, I was still worried and I was tested again in sixth month - it was negative. Am I safe or do I still have to be tested again? Please suggest what I should do. Am I safe?

2. Is there a chance that we can escape an exposure the first time with anal sex?

Thank you, Dr. David sir.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for your questions. A negative test after six months is conclusive that you were not exposed. Unfortunately it takes just one exposure to become infected - even the first time. Keep using condoms - they can break but your are infinitely safer using them.

-David

Worsening depression & fatigue
Dealing with the possibility of having permanant liver damage from HIV medications