Scared to be tested

I was last tested in 2008 and it came out negative. Since then, I have had 3 boyfriends, and after the last relationship ended last fall, I have been with 4 guys that are relatively low-risk, I would think. They are in their early twenties, non-IV drug users, and heterosexual. I have only had sex with them each maybe twice over the span of 2 years and I have talked with them and they confirmed that they are clean. I have also been tested for every other std and all have come out negative. My CBC is completely normal, and I feel fine. I want to get tested for HIV because I am currently in a relationship with a great guy. We do not have sex, but it is always in the back of mind that I might have HIV. I'm very scared and it really gives me great anxiety to the point that my neck and back is sore and I have a lump in my throat. Any answer would be of great relief and help.

-Scared to death

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. It's not a good practice to evaluate HIV status based on demographics or self-report. The majority of new infections are caused by people who don't know they are positive. It's a good sign that your blood work is good and other sexually transmitted infection tests are negative, but you need to follow through with an HIV test to confirm that you are negative. It's the only definitive way to provide relief from the anxiety which sounds as if it is really interfering with your quality of life. Go for it - I'm confident you'll be fine.

-David

Am I 100% negative?
Cognitive and memory problems.