Family member diagnosed with AIDS

Good afternoon,

A few days ago my uncle ago told the family that he has had AIDS for at least 5 years. We are not sure if he has been taking care of it since he lives in Mexico. We know that at times he would not take any medicine. My question is: if he were to start on some medication is there a chance for him to recuperate some of his health. Hope to hear back from someone. We do have more questions and we really want to help him out anyway we can.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Hopefully your uncle has been monitoring his health status and has been taking medication if it is indicated. Antiretroviral medications absolutely play a major role both in restoring some degree of immune functioning and slowing progression. Once he begins medication he needs to continue taking it and not have interruptions which can cause resistance.

I applaud your concern for your uncle. You can find out more basic information about HIV at TheBody's "Just Diagnosed" resource center. I wish your uncle and your family well.

Not enjoying life anymore
When is it right to come off anti-depressant medication?