Not enjoying life anymore

Hi

I'm 18 years old and I'm virgin. The only sexual activity I have had is mutual masturbation (only 2 times with the same guy).

Now I'm afraid that I have contracted HIV. I'm really depressed and I don't enjoy my life anymore. I'm thinking that if I am HIV positive I will kill myself. I'm too young and I don't want to die..please help?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I am confused about why you think you have contracted HIV, a sexually transmitted disease. The risk of being infected through mutual masturbation is so low that it is virtually zero. You should speak to your doctor or a counselor about your depression. You may be experiencing some sexual guilt or other strong emotions that are the real source of the depression. Speaking with someone about them will help you feel better.

Suicide is a drastic solution that should never happen. If you have any thoughts or plans about killing yourself you need to reach out and get help immediately. Depression, not HIV, is your main concern now - please get some help for it.

- David

I am Negative, my husband is positive
Family member diagnosed with AIDS