Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob
Sep 26, 2011

Hello,

I just read of Dr. Bob's passing and I think I am going to freak out. I didn't even know he was sick and I thought his virus was undetectable. He was one of the reasons I could keep going. He acted like he was going to still be here for the cure and that it was possible. Now I am back to feeling like there is no hope and this is a death sentence. I am so sorry for his family. This seems like some sort of a sick joke. Please help - I cannot get my mind around this. It doesn't even seem possible.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. All of us were astonished and saddened by Dr. Bob's death. He was a powerful force for healing who helped thousands both with his knowledge and as a role model. We are never prepared for such a loss. Having lived with the virus for years, I am also susceptible to the shock and deep, personal fears that come with such news. I feel tremendously sorry for his family even as I try to regain my own emotional balance.

Here's how I try and handle it. I choose not to focus on death a daily basis but, in fact, quite the opposite. I really try and live each day as fully as I can. On good days I can put thoughts of death and dying off into a corner in my mind, mindful that they are there but not letting them dominate. Events such as Dr. Bob's passing bring them right back onto center stage and I am reminded once again of my own mortality. I then have to once again find meaning in my life and restore my hope that, while there are no guarantees, every day brings new discoveries that bring us closer to an eradication of HIV.

I feel Dr. Bob would want each of us to experience the richness of life on a daily basis, find hope in the many blessings in our lives, and continue caring about each other to the greatest extent possible.

-David

Previous
Worried about putting myself and boyfriend at risk
Next
Young and Depressed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.