Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Alcoholic Binge Drinking
Sep 26, 2011

Hi, My question relates to binge drinking and being HIV+. After a big night and sometimes into the morning (hello 6am), I'm finding it takes a lot longer to recover from a binge session. I also feel body aches and pains for days - in particular around the back of my neck and chest region. Is this simply a hangover or something much more sinister?

Cheers from Sydney, Australia

P.S I'm 35 and have been poz since July 2007 (not on meds)

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Your body is sending you a strong message to cut back on alcohol! There are many physical reasons not to binge drink, including risk of brain damage, GI problems, cardiovascular problems, etc., etc. Specific to what you write, binge drinking can cause myopathy, muscular problems that can result in pain. Alcohol, of course, also impacts emotional functioning.

Although you're not on meds you need to protect your liver to the greatest extent possible. Alcohol aggravates the liver and many other bodily systems. Most experts belief that HIV+ persons can safely have one drink of alcohol per day but that consumption beyond that carries risk.

Here are two organizations that can help you get sober: Alcoholics Anonymous Australia and SMART Recovery Australia.

Take care of yourself!

-David

Previous
Cocaine and HIV
Next
PEP combination

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.