Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Normal low CD4 count
Sep 25, 2011

Ever since I was diagnosed in 1995 my CD4 count has hovered around the 200 mark - just above or below. It reached a nadir of 40 and then I started combo therapy in 2005 - since then, it has hovered just above 200. Recently, however, I was astonished to find it had peaked at 350, the highest it's ever been in 15 years. I see on this site that people should start treatment if their CD4 is 500 or below. Mine seems to be naturally low. I have never had a day's illness in all these years. Should I be worried that I have only ever attained 350 in ten years?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You are likely one of those people who has a "slow-low" CD4 count response after starting HIV treatment. That is, the lower your CD4 count is when you start treatment, the slower your counts are to respond and the lower the overall increase is over time. Some people never get over 200 despite years of HIV treatment. Whereas some will continue to increase very slowly like you. It is unlikely that you will get to 500, but the good news now is that your immune system has sufficiently recovered that you are unlikely to develop any serious infections associated with HIV infection.

Previous
Open relationship
Next
HIV with depression and anxiety

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.