Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My depression just doesn't get better
Sep 10, 2011

Hello Doctor,

I have read your many responses on how to deal with depression and I apologize for an additional question. Unfortunately, I still cannot get mine to subside. I have been on numerous meds and have been seeing counselors. My dad died a year ago, I am constantly worried about dying and leaving my kids or them being separated from me. I worry about going to hell. You would think my two children would encourage me to get better but I am not and they are suffering also. It fills me with tremendous guilt. I just keep praying that we all get to go together. (no, I do not intend to harm them!) I just can't seem to pull out of it and I do not know what to do. I have OCD and I am rarely able to leave the house. I just wonder if I will always feel this way until the day I die....and then what?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

I'm sorry you've had such a difficult time. The death of a parent can undermine our emotional resilience by opening a cascade of feelings related to other unresolved losses. You mention you have OCD (which is an anxiety disorder). The tone of your writing feels to me more like anxiety and OCD. If you haven't done so already, I would get a psychological evaluation which might better identify any specific issues which, in addition to possible chemical imbalances, may be contributing to your fears. Many of the same drugs used to treat depression are also used to treat OCD (SSRIs - Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors). You may find that a combination of the correct medication in addition to psychotherapy can provide relief.

-David

Previous
Why can't I remember?
Next
Terrible anxiety about HIV infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.