Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk of infection with partner after finding medicine for HIV
Sep 10, 2011

Hi,

I recently had sex with a guy that I've known for awhile now, but afterwards, I found his bottle of Atripla and asked him about it. He never told me about being HIV positive, but said he's been undetectable for awhile now. I'm freaking out over it, and have been since that night, even though he keeps telling me it's low-risk and has been for awhile. He has told me his ex-boyfriend is still negative even after having not used a condom a few times, but I am still scared about it. I'm going to get tested as soon as I get back from vacation, but can you tell me what the chances are for becoming infected after that night, with him being on Atripla and undetectable for awhile?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

While it is true that antiretroviral therapy reduces the risk of transmitting the virus, it does not eliminate it. You should get tested when you get home and continue with follow-up tests until six months have passed since the possible exposure. While it is up to each of us to take precautions to protect ourselves, I would question the level of friendship of someone who would knowingly put me at risk.

-David

Previous
HIV positive mental health providers.
Next
Anxiety following sexual assault

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.