HIV+ and want a child

I'm HIV positive and my boyfriend is negative. We want to have a child. How can we do that so that he will not be infected. I'm not yet on treatment - my CD4 is 463.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Many HIV+ women are of child-bearing age and want to have children. Medical advances have made this more feasible. You should speak with your physician who will review your options with you. You may need to start treatment - antiretroviral therapy is usually indicated to lower the chance of transmitting the virus to your partner and fetus. There are also various methods for insemination that reduce risk. TheBody recently published this guide from The Well Project on Getting Pregnant and HIV,including this page on HIV+ women getting pregnant with HIV- men.

Good luck!

-David

I can't take my meds
HIV positive mental health providers.