Am I at risk or am I insane?

Hello dear doctor,

I'm 18 years old and a few months ago I had my first 'sexual' experience. I licked one guy's penis for less than two seconds (just touched it with my tongue, didn't put it on my mouth). Since then I've been mad and I believe that I have been Infected with the virus. I think about it all day and I can't really get calm. And every time I get a 'symptom' I get mad.

So my questions is: am I at risk or am I insane?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

The chances of transmitting the virus by licking someone's penis for a few seconds is very, very remote (some might say impossible). Any risk would be determined by the presence of sores or cuts, which you don't mention. It's very common for individuals who believe they may have been exposed to HIV to experience anxiety and focus on all sorts of body sensations, which they then attribute to HIV. Take steps to reduce your fears - that might include HIV tests, speaking with someone about your worries, and learning what you need to know to protect yourself. You are beginning a wonderful journey exploring your sexuality. By taking precautions you can fully enjoy the experience without unnecessary worry.

-David

Young, depressed and confused
Concern about Chinese supplement herbs