Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Stress over acute symptom timeline
Aug 14, 2011

How quickly after exposure can acute symptoms (sore throat, Fever etc) present themselves? I recently received unprotected oral sex from a female shortly after she given oral sex to another man whose HIV status I do not know. I know the HIV risk is lower for oral sex but there is a good chance that there may have been semen present in her mouth. Anyhow, about 2 days after this encounter I developed a sore throat and oral candidiasis which lasted about 3 days. I will be going for testing in four weeks, but in the interim period would like to know how likely it is for acute symptoms to appear so soon after exposure and for it to last for three days. Hope this question will be useful for all those other worried people out there.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Acute symptoms of HIV (often described as flu-like symptoms) generally occur from one week to one month following exposure - not quite as soon as you describe. Speak with your physician about your concerns and follow up as planned with an HIV test despite the low risk. Remember the window for seroconversion can be up to six months so testing at 3 months and 6 months would be definitive.

-David

Previous
Finding a general practitioner
Next
Young, depressed and confused

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.