BIpolarity + Reyataz

I started my treatment 5 years ago with Sustiva + Lamivudine + Zidovudine. All was OK except for high triglycerides, cholesterol and blood sugar levels and lipoatrophy. They changed Sustiva for Reyataz and now I have insomnia, suicidal thoughts, I can't sleep at night, and I sleep all day. I'm becoming compulsive. With sustiva I could sleep well. Now I don't know what to do - 10 years ago I was a successful lawyer, now I'm a piece of scum.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thank you for writing. You don't mention if you were previously diagnosed with bipolar disorder or if the Reyataz is causing symptoms that make you feel that way. In any case, Sustiva generally causes more psychiatric symptoms than Reyataz, although Reyataz can cause insomnia (as it appears to have done in your case). I have not heard of increases in compulsivity as a side effect of this drug. Both insomnia and compulsivity, of course, are symptoms of a manic phase of bipolar disorder. If there such an underlying condition this may need to be treated as well.

I would recommend immediately speaking with your physician and perhaps a psychiatrist knowledgeable about HIV medications. Suicidal thoughts are always serious and need to be addressed without hesitation, as does any feeling of worthlessness such as that which you expressed. There are drug combinations that are effective without causing such severe psychological symptoms - contact your physician right away.

-David

What can I take for erectile dysfunction?
14 years old and in love