Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I'm positive, my wife is negative, and we want to have a baby
Jul 9, 2011

I am HIV positive and my wife is negative. We are planning on having a child of our own. How is this possible and how can we get some help in cutting cost for the treatment? If you are knowledgeable in this area we would love your help. We are living in New York state.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

There are methods that involve several steps which can minimize the risk to both your wife and your unborn child. They include keeping your viral load low, working with a physician to provide your wife with antivirals, and sperm washing, which separates sperm from the seminal fluid. It is important to find a provider that is well-experienced working with serodiscordant couples. This process is expensive and I'm not sure what resources exist in your area for financial assistance. One program that works with serodiscordant couples in New York City is the Center for Women's Reproductive Care at Columbia University. Check with your physician or case manager about other possible resources in your area. Here is a page from TheBody with additional information.

Good luck!

-David

Previous
Work out supplement
Next
My doctor wants me off Xanax, but it's working fine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.