I'm positive, my wife is negative, and we want to have a baby

I am HIV positive and my wife is negative. We are planning on having a child of our own. How is this possible and how can we get some help in cutting cost for the treatment? If you are knowledgeable in this area we would love your help. We are living in New York state.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

There are methods that involve several steps which can minimize the risk to both your wife and your unborn child. They include keeping your viral load low, working with a physician to provide your wife with antivirals, and sperm washing, which separates sperm from the seminal fluid. It is important to find a provider that is well-experienced working with serodiscordant couples. This process is expensive and I'm not sure what resources exist in your area for financial assistance. One program that works with serodiscordant couples in New York City is the Center for Women's Reproductive Care at Columbia University. Check with your physician or case manager about other possible resources in your area. Here is a page from TheBody with additional information.

Good luck!

-David

Work out supplement
My doctor wants me off Xanax, but it's working fine