Antidepressants and sexual dysfunction

Are any effective antidepressants that do not cause sexual dysfunction? I have tried Remeron and I had sort of a manic effect. My blood pressure went up too high and they pulled me off because of the carb cravings. I am currently on Wellbutrin, but sometimes I think it makes me even more aggressive - and it just doesn't seem to work. I have always had a history of depression and OCD. I have been on too many anti-depressants to count, all with various side effects that I could not tolerate. I have sexual dysfunction with Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro, but also the feeling that I cannot lift up my head and I end up just laying on the floor. I am very disappointed that Wellbutrin does not work. Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

As I mentioned in another post today, antidepressants (particularly the SSRIs, including the ones you mention: Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, and Lexapro) are very effective at reducing depressive symptoms but can have sexual side effects. Wellbutrin (buproprion) has far fewer sexual side effects and is frequently considered an alternative. Wellbutrin, however, can cause anxiety, irritability, and even aggression, which seems to be the case with you. You mention a long history of depression as well as obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). SSRIs (not Wellbutrin) are the treatment of choice for OCD, although one older drug, Anafranil, has also been effective. Given your long experience with these drugs, it would be worth a consult with a psychopharmacologist (a physician who specializes in the use of psychoactive medications) who could review a detailed history and possibly provide you with alternatives that would reduce your depression and OCD symptoms with minimal side effects.

-David

Citalopram & Trazadone and negative sexual side effects
Work out supplement