The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Husband & negative wife want to have a baby

Jun 16, 2011

Hello Sir,

We have been married for 6 years and after 1 year of marriage we discovered that I was HIV+. I immediately started medicines. We did test my wife and she is negative. My viral load is consistently less than 53 except the first test. We are having sex now but with proper precautions: I always wear a condom during sex. Now we are planning to have a baby. We did 3 cycles of IUI but she did not conceive. My wife wants to ask you if there is a way we can have sex without a condom on a specific day and conceive and protect her and the baby. Do you see any risk in this?

Awaiting your response on the same. Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

IUI (intrauterine insemination) with sperm washing is the safest method in your situation. Given that it didn't work, unprotected sex is an option. Be certain to work with your HIV physician and an obstetrician familiar with HIV to consider the following: your viral load should be undetectable and your wife should utilize some form of PreP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) that would be safe during pregnancy. Finally, the obstetrician should help you both determine exactly when your wife is most fertile to reduce the risk of unnecessary exposure.

I will reprint a post on this topic from Dr. Bob Frascino that contains more information. Good luck!


Behavioral changes on Atripla
Disclosure to others without permission

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint