Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I am getting angry very fast & I get a lot of allergies
Jun 16, 2011

Hi Dr. David,

I was detected as HIV positive in April 2010. I have noticed that for last few months I am getting angry very fast. Also, I notice that I am getting too many allergies. Are these related to HIV?

I am in India and am going to be 44 years old. I have a family and I still have a decent job (that I don't want to lose). My parents are still alive and stay alone in a village in India, about 2000Km from my place. I am really frightened of stigma and thus, only my wife is aware of my status. My last CD4 count (in Feb) was around 450 - this is down from 480 in April 2010. But my viral load has increased from 1978 in April 2010 to about 250K now. Last time I saw the doctors here, they suggested that I come back again in Aug for tests and start meds when my CD4 count is below 350. I don't exercise since my job is stressful and takes long hours. At times I feel that ending life is a better option, but I am still very frightened to die. I wonder why I am still hopeful for positive future, when I know that it can never happen.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for your question. First, regarding allergies. Persons living with HIV do tend to develop more drug sensitivities. You don't mention what type of allergies you are experiencing, but you should keep your doctor informed. Strong feelings, including anger, are typical after receiving news that one is HIV positive. All negative feelings intensify when they are not expressed. I understand the significance of stigma, but I would encourage you to develop a support system beyond your wife where you can safely express all of your feelings. Perhaps your doctor could recommend a group in your area. Developing such a support system, along with physical exercise, will go a long way toward relieving the anger. If it remains a problem seek professional guidance to learn about other tools that can help alleviate it. Finally, I encourage you to focus on a positive future. HIV can be managed as a chronic illness. Many HIV positive people around the world live very positive and rewarding lives.

-David

Previous
Starting treatment for better relationships
Next
Behavioral changes on Atripla

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.