I'm HIV positive and want to have a child

I am HIV positive and I want to have a baby. Will my child also be positive? How I can have sex with someone who is positive?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Having a child when you are HIV positive can be difficult, but it is certainly possible. There is a small risk (2%) of "vertical transmission" (passing the virus on to the fetus), but by following recommendations such as taking HIV medications, delivery by caesarian section, and no breast feeding, this can be kept to a minimum. Be aware that HIV and/or the meds can sometimes make it difficult to become pregnant. The risk of infecting one's partner can be addressed through the use of artificial insemination. It is important to find a knowledgeable physician who can help both with your medical concerns and link you with services for social support as well. You can find an abundance of information on becoming pregnant when you're positive here at TheBody.com. Good luck!

-David

Telling my partner I'm positive
What kind of support group do I want/need?