kaposis sarcoma active while hiv virus is undetectable

Just year from being diagnosed with hiv, the medication is working in terms of lowering hiv virus and improving my tcell count. My oncologist is recommending Doxil, he also explained the unpleasant side effects of it. I told him that I will think about it first or wait a little more time to see if KS will regress eventually. Kindly advise. Thanks.

Hello and thank you for your post.

You've not mentioned what your initial or current CD4 count is, but typically people with KS have lower CD4s. If this is the case and your KS is limited to the skin, then we will frequently defer on cancer chemotherapy (like Doxil) and (as you mention), wait for HIV medications to improve immune function and CD4 count. On the other hand, if your KS is visceral (ie., in lungs, colon or other internal organs), then chemotherapy is usually recommended.

I hope this helps and wish you well, BY

IM HIV CAN I WORK FULL TIME
Telling my partner I'm positive