mental health worries and HIV

In the last 6-7 months, I have seen a decline in my memory, depression, confusion, cannot do simple functions anymore. My HIV doc does not believe that it is HIV related dementia, because my CD4s are pretty high now, and my VL is undetectable. However, I was only diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago, and my CD4 count was only 6, and the VL was off the chart. Even though the HIV appears to be under control at this time, is it possible that it could have already caused some mental damage before, that is only showing up now?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Some studies have documented that the development of HIV-related cognitive issues are correlated to one's lowest CD4 count, not necessarily current CD4 levels. The symptoms you describe can be attributed to a number of causes, including medications. Although HIV-related dementia is relatively rare today, there are other cognitive problems that can develop. Speak with your doctor about a referral for a neuropsychological workup. That can help determine what is going on and point toward the appropriate intervention.

While HIV-related dementia is much less common than earlier in the epidemic, the virus continues to take a toll on the brain and its functioning. Effective treatments have been elusive, but intriguing research continues. One example is work at University of Rochester Medical Center, submitted by a reader. If there are changes in cognitive functioning such as memory, clumsiness, or concentration, speak with your physician so that they can be evaluated.

-David

Schizophrenia
HIV AND DIET PILLS