Anxiety - Supplement - HIV MEDS

I would like to know if Zanaprin would interfere with my HIV meds Reyataz and Epzicom or any HIV meds. Zanaprin seems to be a better solution then prescription meds for anxiety. In Russia it is by prescription only and in USA sold as an supplement. I have anxiety and hate the effects of prescriptions. Do you know of Zanaprin and its ingredients and what effect it may have on HIV meds. Thanks

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Zanaprin, as you note, has been used more traditionally in Russia and has now gained an internet presence. It is promoted for its anti-anxiety (and other) properties, The main ingredient is phenibut, a derivative of a naturally-occurring neurotransmitter. I would advise that you speak with your physician before taking any action. Many "naturally-occurring" chemicals that work on anxiety or depression have known interactions with HIV medications. Phenibut's interaction with HIV meds may not have been specifically studied, in which case I would exercise even greater caution. I understand that the effects of anxiety medications can be unpleasant. Have you tried meditation, or relaxation techniques, or breathwork? In many cases they work very well and always without the side effects.

My pets after my demise...
Really weird question regarding HIV / AIDS that's bothering me